Flag Display Days
And Caring For the Flag
Flag display days are listed below.
This information is from a brochure published by the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) entitled When and How to Fly the United States Flag.
Flag Display Days
|New Year’s Day ||January 1st|
|Martin Luther King, Jr. Day ||3rd Monday in January|
|Lincoln’s Birthday ||February 12th|
|Washington’s Birthday (President’s Day) ||3rd Monday in February|
|Easter Sunday ||variable|
|Mother's Day ||2nd Sunday in May|
|Peace Officers Memorial Day (half staff)* ||May 15th|
|Armed Forces Day ||3rd Saturday in May|
|Memorial Day (half-staff until noon) ||last Monday in May|
|Flag Day ||June 14th|
|Father's Day ||3rd Sunday in June|
|Independence Day ||July 4th|
|National Korean War Veterens Armistice Day ||July 27th|
|Labor Day ||1st Monday in September|
|Patriot Day (half-staff) ||September 11th|
|POW-MIA Recognition Day ||3rd Friday in September|
|Constitution Day (Citzenship Day) ||September 17th|
|Columbus Day ||2nd Monday in October|
|Navy Day ||October 27th|
|Veterans Day ||November 11th|
|Thanksgiving Day ||4th Thursday in November|
|National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day (half-staff) ||December 7th|
|Christmas Day ||December 25th|
and such other days as maybe proclaimed by the President of the United States; the birthdays of states (date of admission); and on state holidays.
Information outlined above is part of the Federal Flag Code or enacted by Federal legislation. Fly your POW/MIA flag with your United States flag on Armed Forces Day, Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day, National POW/MIA Recognition Day and Veterans Day.
* The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memoriasl Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day.
Caring For the Flag
- If soiled, the flag may be washed or dry cleaned.
- When torn or frayed but not faded, the flag may be mended.
- A worn or faded flag should be retired with respect. Fold the flag and place it on a fire. The ashes should then be buried.
- Some VFW Posts and American Legion Posts and other community groups collect worn flags and conduct retirement ceremonies. Check in your community for who conducts the ceremony. (Source: US Flag Code, 1976 (updated 2001)
Thank you for visiting.
Return from Flag Display Days to Flag Day
Return to Holidays in December
Return to Holidays in June
Return to Home Page